What is this scan for?
The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland in your neck. It makes two hormones that are secreted into the blood. These hormones are necessary for all the cells in your body to work normally.
Your thyroid can be overactive or underactive in making the hormones or there could be other conditions that cause symptoms as follows:
- Underactive thyroid: tiredness, feeling cold, weight gain, poor concentration, depression.
- Overactive thyroid: weight loss, heat intolerance, anxiety, and, sometimes, sore and gritty eyes.
- Thyroid eye disease – Eye bulging. This can happen with overactive thyroid due to Graves’ disease.
- Nodules or swellings – these lumps can stop the thyroid gland from working properly.
- Thyroid cancer – this is very rare, but it is important to check any lump in your neck.
What does this scan show?
Thyroid ultrasound uses sound waves to produce pictures of the thyroid gland within the neck. This type of ultrasound looks into the character, shape and size of the Thyroid gland.
The Ultrasound Scan Procedure
Preparation: Please keep your lower neck as free of clothing as possible, with no jewellery around this area.
Ultrasound is safe, non-invasive and does not use ionizing radiation. During the ultrasound scan the sonographer will place a warm water-based gel on the area to be examined, and will then press firmly on the skin with an ultrasound probe, moving it around until they have obtained the desired images. The ultrasound scan has no known risks and is usually pain free. When the scan is completed the gel can be wiped off easily using tissue.
Click the Below Button to Book this Scan